Personal development FETAC Level 3
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge skill and competence to describe the role of computers in everyday life and to operate a personal computer safely in a supervised environment. Students will also have to prove competency in using a computer application to create a file, enter data, use a keyboard and mouse, print a file and store the file appropriately.
Portfolio of Work:
Portfolio of work will consist of 10 completed documents to indicate proficiency in learning outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 - each completed document receives 3 marks.
Students will be required to connect computer peripherals and power up and shut down a computer, competently as outlined in learning outcome 7. Evidence can be gathered through video or a series of photographs. Students will also have to demonstrate health & safety practice while using a computer, a Tutors log observing student can be used to gather evidence.
1. Outline how Information Technology affects everyday life to include Social Networking, E-Commerce, E –Government and E-Learning
2. Explain commonplace Information Technology concepts and terminology relating to computer types, computer hardware, application software and the internet
3. Describe the health, safety and personal hygiene considerations of working with computers
4. Describe information security considerations including password protection, viruses and provision of personal details
5. Outline the functions of the main hardware elements of a computer including input, output and storage devices
6. Outline computer hardware by performing all required steps including connecting all required devices, and powering up and shutting down equipment
7. Use a range of keyboard capabilities including text entry, numeric data entry, function keys, application keys, multifunction keys, symbols cursor controls, caps lock and num lock
8. Use a computer application to create a file by performing all required steps including accessing the application, entering data using the keyboard and mouse, printing the file, and storing the file appropriately for subsequent retrieval Collection of Work
9. Apply relevant environmental impact reduction, health, safety and personal hygiene procedures when working an ICT environment